Child Care & Early Education in Santa Monica
Santa Monica has been dedicated to advancing child care and early education for decades. The Child Care Master Plan adopted in 1991 by the City of Santa Monica, Santa Monica Malibu Unified School District, and Santa Monica College is the framework for a long-range strategy to address critical needs like the shortage of child care facilities, protection of existing child care, and increased care for infants and toddlers. The Early Childhood Education Center project is an example of how Santa Monicans are working to advance early childhood care.
If you're interested in becoming a child care provider in Santa Monica, please start here.
- Map: Child Care, Early Education & Zip Codes (City of Santa Monica, 2015)
- Map: Child Care, Early Education & Zoning (City of Santa Monica, 2015)
- Chronology of Child Care & Early Education in Santa Monica (City of Santa Monica, 2017)
- Early & School-Age Care in Santa Monica (RAND Corporation, 2014)
- Land Use & Circulation Element - Child Care and Early Education (City of Santa Monica, 2010)
- Child Care Linkage Program Report (City of Santa Monica, 2005)
- Early Childhood Initiative Plan (Santa Monica Lifelong Learning Community Partnership, 2001)
- Child Care Master Plan (City of Santa Monica, 1991)
- Child Care Policy (City of Santa Monica, 1991)
- Pre-K on the Starting Blocks (New York Times, January 20, 2014)
- Integrated Science of Early Brain and Child Development (Dr. Pat Levitt, 2012)
- Child Care and Sustainable Community Development (American Planning Association, 2011)