The Santa Monica Cradle to Career Building Blocks for Kindergarten Work Group in February kicked off the second year of this grassroots campaign to ensure all of our community's children are ready for school come September. For February, the focus is on Sharing and Caring, the fundamentals of nurturing children's social and emotional development. For March, the campaign emphasizes Fuel for School, or how to support children's self-care, physical wellbeing, and motor skills. All Campaign Work Group partners will promote the same unified message to parents.
Among the highlights of community activities to nurture children for success over this past month are:
- The Building Blocks for Kindergarten parent handbook was shared at all SMMUSD kindergarten round-ups and will be included in every registration packet.
- The Santa Monica Libraries are including an introduction to Building Blocks for Kindergarten at 15 Storytime programs.
- SMMUSD Child Development Services programs will also feature activities that highlight the Building Blocks themes.
- Community Corp. Santa Monica hosted a family night and a resource fair to inform parents about early childhood education including what to look for, how to enroll, and how to get help to cover the costs.
- Early childhood education programs across the City are sharing the Building Blocks handbook with parents.
See HERE to join the campaign!